Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why Jack Bauer made me love Torture

Everyone loves Jack Bauer, and as a resident of the very city he saved in Day 2, I would know.  Now, obviously, all of you have been watching the new season, and are realizing the enormous issue that our Hero is confronting.  Torture.  The season began as Jack was testifying before the senate, defending the torture of suspected terrorists.  Now, as a bleeding heart liberal,  I was torn between protecting the rights of scumbags, and freeing Mr. Bauer.  On one hand, torture is illegal, but on the other, Jack saved lots of peoples lives.  Even in the last episode, Agent Rene came before the same conundrum.  How far can we go to protect the lives of innocents?  I have heard tell that infringing one persons civil rights infringes everyones civil right, but what if the torture truly yields results?  If torturing one person saves the lives of 500 people, is it not justified in the fact that those people now continue to have the "right to life"?  While I am not saying that we should all go out and start torturing people, but that maybe, we should start looking at the arguments on the other side.

-Will
Playing: Toribash!
Listening: Carry on My Wayward Son (Kansas)
Watching: 24 (duh)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I agree. I'm not sure I disagree either. I wonder what Jesus would say? Actually, I'm pretty sure he'd say don't torture no matter the outcome, but since I'm not Him, I can't be sure.

    Let's discuss it some Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete